Voices of a Mental Kind

At times I wonder how many minds I have. People usually have ONE - dedicated to opposing whatever their heart has to say. But it seems I have quite a few. Every night, they chatter among themselves and the sound doesn't let me sleep.

On nights I am really happy, they lack energy. So, they remain quiet. On other nights, the revelry starts in my head and continues till I fall asleep to the noise. Then, midway through my dreams I can faintly hear them - still debating monstrously.


Only the night before, I came to bed having watched a horror feature film. The Schizophrenic Mind was of course recharged. It scared me every now and then, not allowing me to shut my eyes lest the spirits quietly sneak up on me, making me feel an amputed finger was tracing my legs from under the bed sheet - but these are common.


The war started when one of the other minds started fretting about the darkness of the last dialogue in the movie. A little kid had seen a cursed video and would die in seven days because of it. His mom had done the same, but was spared death as she had made a copy of the videotape - the spirit had wanted to be heard and this was publicity for her. So, when the mother realised what could save her son, she made him make a copy too. The little boy said,"It goes on forever, doesn't it?"


The mother assured him that everything will be alright.


"What happens to the one who views the copy we are making?"


The mother could only stare helplessly at her son. The answer was apparent in her eyes..


So now, the Fretting Mind started to crib about how that will doom humanity. From somewhere, the Realist came up and said," Girl! It was a film! Not a true story.." 
The Morally Secure one came up, "The boy would be living at the cost of another's life! Would he not regret that later and feel ashamed?"

There was silence. For 2 seconds.


The Schizophrenic : What if such things really happen? What if the girl never really sleeps? Will we die too? Cuz we did watch that video through the movie. She might be after us now!" 


The Realist : DUH


The Psychiatrist : But what DO you think was wrong with that girl? And how can someone not sleep even after death?" 


The Lover : I miss him... :(


The others : Shut up, silly!


The Lover : But, I'm scared...


The Agony Aunt : Tell him your feelings, darling...He will cheer you up! You know you can be yourself around him...


The Rockstar (mimicking Green Day) : "Oh Loovee...OHH Love!!"


The Schizophrenic : What if it happens to MEEE???? 


The Rockstar (Green Day again): "Do you know what's worth dying for..?"


The General Coward : Fighting for life in a dark well? All alone for 7 days?


The Posh Girl : It's gooey and dirty down there! Yuckkk!


The Compassionate : Imagine the plight of that little girl then...


And this would continue the rest of the night, I was sure... And so it did. In the middle of the night, the General Coward woke me up. I could feel droplets of some liquid pouring onto my skin. My eyes jerked open. For a second I thought," Has my 7th day arrived?" I kept my head on the pillow - too scared to venture my eyes above, or to move an inch. 


The Scientist : Lazy Bones, your Air Conditioner is leaking! 


The Schizophrenic : Yea, in the film, the cordless phone was leaking water. 


The Scientist, the Realist, the Curious Kid : You know you need a real Psychiatrist?? You mental of a Mind!!


So I reached my fingers to my brow. I felt the texture of the liquid. Then I touched the curtains. They were full wet. Yes, it was the AC. I turned it off.

But I was too sleepy to hear my multiple minds arguing once again. I think I quietly fell asleep.



Comments

Popular Posts