The Song of the Ocean


Late after midnight, it started to rain heavily. I had just dozed off a few moments ago. But, my senses willingly came back to life. The war of the clouds, the sheets of rain crashing on the streets outside and the distant low rumble of the ocean stretched deeper into the night. I was eventually lulled back to sleep again.

Then the alarm sounded at 4:30 am. It was for waking to watch the sunrise on the beach. I perked up my head only to hear the rain still pounding away and darkness everywhere. Silencing the alarm, I went off to sleep again.

At 6:00 am, the light was just breaking out. I got off the bed and came by the 4 metre long, sea-facing window. The waves were still grey, with their jewellery of white foam neatly in place. As I looked on, a long wave formed. It rode the current and rose high, letting a line of gold glitter all the way across its belly, before breaking against the shore into pearl-like foam.

I stared in awe for some time. The trees to the right of my window were bathed in fresh green. Small sparrows frittered their tails as they flew against the backdrop of a slowly brightening azure blue sky. Three pigeons came and sat on my windowsill. A cuckoo cooed relentlessly from somewhere. Riding upon the wings of the salty wind, the sounds of the ocean were spreading in all directions.

..Like they are a gift of nature meant equally for everyone.

Comments

Popular Posts